top of page


The latest Green Card update

October 2019

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, you will be legally required to carry proof of motor insurance in the form of a Green Card when driving in an EU or specified EEA country.

So, what does this mean for anyone planning to drive abroad in the EU, EAA, Andorra, Serbia, Switzerland or Eire on or after 31st October?

In the event of the UK leaving the EU without a deal, you will be required to carry a Green Card, which will serve as proof that you are appropriately insured to at least the minimum legal standard in that territory. Please note that all Green Cards must be carried in their physical form as digital copies are not currently accepted.

It is important to note that any trailers or caravans must also have their own Green Card, and failure to comply with this proof of motor insurance could result in sizeable fines.

We would advise allowing at least two weeks for the delivery of Green Cards as they may take some time to be issued.

As an independent insurance broker who has carefully built and maintained long-term relationships with insurers, we can help you to ensure that you remain covered with the new regulations that may be imposed in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

If you are intending to drive in the EU or a specified EEA country on or after 31st October 2019 or if you have any questions, please get in touch with us on 020 8450 5336 to find out more.


020 8450 5336

bottom of page